Friday, June 08, 2007

I'm Not Dead Yet....I'm Getting Better...I Think I'll Go For A Walk...

If you get that pop culture reference you're either: 1.) way cooler than you think or 2.) a member of my junior high youth group. Or you've seen Spamalot lately. I find it a fitting quote for this season of our lives. The good news is that we're not dead and we are getting better. We can even go for a walk! Sometimes you gotta rejoice in the little things.
My mom recently gave us a really helpful book entitled "The Art of Coming Home." In keeping with the title of the book: sometimes I feel like my coming home experience is like a breathtaking VanGogh...lots of sad, deep blue hues (with some bright splashes of color), and it's mostly done well and with skill. And some days I feel more like I'm finger painting and really making a mess on the paper; it's clear that I don't know what I'm doing, but maybe it's also kind of funny. So I find "art," with its various manifestations, a fitting metaphor.
As far as housing goes, we are almost totally moved in to our new apartment. All I'll tell you on the World Wide Web is that it's really cute, Japan-sized, and located in what our friend Damon dubbed "Little Italy." We're happy to be there! Re-opening our wedding presents from two years ago has been fun, though we've managed to wind up with seven pyrex measuring cups and two rolling pins...and I KNOW we took back duplicates after the wedding. If there's one thing Japan taught us, it's what one can live without and what one can't live without. Conclusion: we can live without a TV, but we can't live without a KitchenAid stand mixer.
Now that we have housing, we're ready to have jobs! Actually, I've been ready to have a job for awhile. I'm currently waiting to hear some exciting opportunities. Waiting has been the name of the game since we got back. I've learned A LOT about patience, prayer, and perseverance and wouldn't you know it? Those are all things I've really needed to learn. But I'm done learning now, and I'm ready to have a job and to get on with life:) Mark's been learning a lot too, mostly about chemistry. He's in summer school and realizing that taking one class at a time is the way to go! I also think being married and not having a nearby beach helps with studying.
Well, that's life right now. We'd love to have more to share with you about, you know, general life direction and whatnot. But...well...we'll let you know as soon as WE know;)

No comments: