Nine years ago today, a very nervous boy and a very nervous girl went on their first date. The date was three months, a million hours worth of phone calls, and a few notebooks' worth of notes in the making--remember, this was back in the days before IM or e-mail or Facebook played a part in budding young romances. She drove them to the theater, he tried to put his arm around her. She awkwardly rejected his advances. He persevered. They held sweaty hands inside the theater, during what turned out to be a seriously LONG movie, way too long for a first date, they later agreed.
The ride home was filled with silence and uneasiness...neither person knew what to say. The evening ended with a good-night kiss, which I will not dare to describe here. I will, however, be happy to re-enact it for you sometime, as it was pretty hilarious.
It's hard to believe that was nine years ago. If you'd asked us that night, we probably wouldn't have guessed that we'd be married today. But we are, and that makes me really thankful for that cold December night, nine years ago today.
5 comments:
Lies, all lies. I remember that day, and AIM very much DID play a role in budding romances. You two just weren't cool enough to have it. :) Happy anniversary!
In the words of U2...
"oooooh, the sweetest thing." :) You both married one of the best people I know. I can't wait to see what the future holds for the Barn-itches. :)
That would make you guys...like...12...ehhh...gross!
Lj
If I remember right, the movie was "Meet Joe Black" (my all time favorite). So in your honor, I listened to the soundtrack yesterday. Love, Aunt Nell
Aren't those memories the best?? I love love! (How cheesy was that?!) I remember this one time when the boy brought the girl the biggest bouquet of flowers on Valentine's Day when we were in Heidelberg!
Post a Comment