Friday, June 20, 2008

World Refugee Day #11

Today I received confirmation that our marriage is now registered with the Brazilian government. That's significant because it allowed me to change my name on my Brazilian passport. That's significant because we are hoping to visit my sister in Brazil and I can't get into the country without that passport. This trip was actually supposed to happen in May, but it didn't come to fruition because of documentation issues that are now (mostly) resolved.

Dealing with the Brazilian consulate in the U.S. has been really frustrating. And at least I'm interacting with a legitimate government! At least the Brazilian government didn't refuse to recognize the validity of my marriage because my spouse is a "foreigner." At least it didn't refuse me citizenship because my parents are Americans. At least I didn't have to be afraid to put my marriage certificate, showing my "Christian marriage," in the mail, as I didn't fear that it would be intercepted and that my family would face persecution because of an incriminating document. And at least, if I ever find myself in another country, I have a passport to prove my country of citizenship. At least I have citizenship (actually, citizenships).

That's all more than can be said about many refugees and asylees today.

1 comment:

The Lj's said...

YAY! On the marriage confirmation! Love the positives... we have it so much better than so many others out there... thanks for the reminder!