We're now city-dwellers, part of that whole trendy urban renewal thing. As per the request of a certain family member living overseas (who was mentioned in my previous post--you were right on, Izumi!), we'll post pictures soon. Just to whet your appetite, I promise you this: our house is older than your house, no matter who you are.
It's been a crazy summer! I was at the National Migration Conference in Washington D.C. last month while Mark graciously started moving our stuff in to our home. We both worked hard, though Mark probably wouldn't agree with that because his work involved way more sweat (unless you count the day my co-workers and I raced around Capitol Hill in our suits on a humid Wednesday morning...that did actually involve a lot of sweat, too).
The conference gave me a glimpse into the other side of refugee resettlement, everything that goes into processing refugees before they even set foot on U.S. soil. Apparently, all kinds of departments and documents and acronyms are involved--a short list I began jotting on my notepad by day #4 of the conference: UNHCR, USCCB, P1, P2, P#, OPE, USCIS, DOS, PRM, MG, LIRS, R&P, SIV, WRAPS, SAO, AOR, CLASS, USRC, IOM, ORR, URM, UAC, DHS, DOJ, I-94, SSI, I-730, CAL, BRYCS, JRS, DHHS, MRS, RPC, VolAg, ABN, PNR, POE. And that's just what I could think of off the top of my head. I honestly couldn't tell you what some of them stand for. Good thing there was no post-test!
One of the highlights (besides learning how to speak in Washington code, of course) was getting to hear Immaculee Ilibagiza tell her story of being locked in a bathroom with 7 other women for 91 days during the 1994 Rwandan genocide. During her time spent hiding from those who were seeking to kill her, she journeyed from hatred and fear to forgiveness and love for her enemies. Talk about seeing the Christian life truly, truly lived out. I'm really looking forward to reading her book.
I'll leave you with this: "Lost Boy's True Olympic Moment: Carrying U.S. Flag." You didn't think I'd let that one go without mention, did you?
No comments:
Post a Comment