Sunday, September 06, 2009

Another weekend in the big apple...

Today we went to the annual Brazilian Day party on 46th street. 46th and Avenue of the Americas is the "little Brazil" neighborhood of Manhattan and features all three Brazilian cultural staples: feijoada buffets, nail salons, and year round swim suit shops.


Today was the ritual cleansing of 46th street by NYC's own troop of Baianas. I'd love to explain exactly what a Baiana is, but I know it will only result in an epic failure. You can ask Dr. Bob Carpenter to explain it in full next time you see him.



Here is a picture of one of the entertainers. This guy was awesome! Everyone was samba dancing, waving Brazilian flags and hugging the nearest Baiana!


Of course, this being a Brazilian party, once you start feeling the music you can't help but take your shirt and headdress off and find a drum to bang on!


After dancing the afternoon away, Kelly and I felt like this child. I actually carried Kelly back to the upper west side in exactly the same fashion. Minus, of course, the cool Bahia hat emblazoned with the slogan "The land of all us".

1 comment:

Cris said...

I think that exact same Baiana sells acaraje on the corner across from my old apartment. Weird. Did you try acaraje? I wouldn't if I were you...