This isn't an update on this weekend's happenings, really, because we're so far behind in updating you on what's been happening since the start of 2010! Let's go all the way back to January, when we celebrated our 5 year anniversary. 5 years! I know, it's still kind of shocking to us, too. Although the other day Mark finished my thought and I told him "that's what happens when you've been married 10 years." He kindly pointed out that we haven't quite reached that milestone yet. Right, honey, it only feels like 10...in a good way :)


Here we are in Alaska--I mean just north of NYC. For our anniversary I found a little inn for us to stay at in the quaint town of Cold Spring, a 45-minute train ride away from the bustling city. The weather had been pretty cold leading up to that weekend, but we hadn't really expected to see chunks of ice floating down the Hudson. It was a pretty cool sight and really strange to realize that the Guthrie of New York (small town, antique stores, little coffee shops, lots of out-of-town weekenders) is so close to us. So this was a nice, relaxing place to celebrate 5 years of wedded bliss.

Our next big event was a visit from three aunts, an uncle, two cousins, and one may-as-well-be-a cousin. We had a great time showing everyone around "our" city. It was spring break for those of us who go to school or who work at a school--it was actually pretty miraculous that all of our breaks coincided, considering that we were representing 5 schools in 3 states. I guess this trip was meant to be. This is all of us (Mark behind the camera) at Rockefeller Center. Other highlights of the trip included going to a show, walking across the Brooklyn Bridge, enjoying dessert at the top of a rotating restaurant in Times Square, and showing them our neighborhood. They enjoyed some other activities while we were at work or otherwise preoccupied, including a visit to Liberty Island and Ellis Island, Wall Street, and lots of good shopping.


The weather started getting nicer near the end of Spring Break, so I ventured out to the hottest new park in town, the Highline. Embracing the idea of urban renewal, some enterprising folks converted an old elevated rail line into a park. It doesn't quite have the Old World charm of Central Park, but that's what Central Part is for. The Highline is for enjoying your sandwich while looking out over a busy street and gazing at billboards, as you can see from the top picture. The bottom picture represents my favorite part of the park: the benches modeled after sun lounge chairs. All kinds of people were napping/reading/enjoying their takeout from Whole Foods in the sun.

Finally, I didn't know if I would ever get another chance to take a picture of a stacking parking lot from the top, so I carpe-d the diem and did it. Isn't it amazing how arrangements we take for granted can be adapted when space doesn't come cheap?
Well, that's it for now. Check back soon for pictures of the "Blessing of the Bikes" at St. John the Divine. Yes, you read that right.
No comments:
Post a Comment