Friday, October 11, 2013

Encore! --Kelly

Well, after a long time "away," we're back. Life in New York started feeling a little too normal to be worth writing about, our updates took the form of witty (at least we liked to think) 140-character musings elsewhere, and we eventually abandoned ship. Then we up and moved to Switzerland, and suddenly trips to the grocery store feel worthy of a post, with photos to boot.

Actually, there's a lot I could say about our first four days in Lausanne. I could tell you about how we were stuck in Heathrow on our way here for 7 extra exhausting hours due to fog, how we eventually made it to Geneva will all bags and boxes almost intact, or how we were greeted at the airport by two very warm and welcoming students whose enthusiasm for discussing Meyers-Briggs personality types rivals my own (I think we'll get along just fine!) I could tell you about the gorgeous view from our apartment, but you can just look at the top of this page and see that for yourself. I could tell you that Mark's been keeping super busy being trained in his job, preparing for next week's educational field trip to the south of France, and playing "Hero" by Enrique Iglesias on the guitar at last night's "coffee house" that the students put on.

But instead, I'll tell you that Mark and I successfully went grocery shopping yesterday. My first visit to the grocery store in any new hometown, in the U.S. or out of it, is a momentous occasion. I simply love grocery stores, and I think you can tell a lot about a community by visiting one. Among other things, we purchased courgettes (zucchini), on sale for 50% off, delicious butter that lives up to its reputation, and our first bar of Swiss-bought, Swiss-made chocolate. The highlight of the trip, though, was stumbling upon the "exotic" foods aisle and finding a full range of Thai Kitchen brand goods. Coconut milk, curry paste (green and red!), jasmine rice...all one needs to fix a warm, comforting plate of Thai curry. After a tiring first week, this familiar sight was all it took to bring one of us to tears. I can't say who, though. He'd kill me if I told.

Here's to more new experiences and reminders of home!

No comments: