Throughout our lives as Christians, we haven't been exposed to much church liturgy. That's mostly because our particular faith tradition is one that highlights the supremacy of the Bible over creeds and doctrines. We really understand and respect and agree with that. However, we also feel that liturgy offers a certain kind of beauty and richness that may not otherwise be experienced. And it's interesting that Christians all over the world find the liturgical calendar useful in ordering their lives in community and individually.
We're taking a step towards exploring that (somewhat foreign to us) aspect of Christian life by engaging in Lenten devotionals. We're reading through Show Me The Way, a collection of daily Lenten devotionals by Henri Nouwen. We also receive by e-mail daily devotions written by the students and faculty of Goshen College. Our hope is that, by engaging in these 40 days of meditation on Christ's life, death and burial, that the Easter morning resurrection will be filled with new richness of meaning and beauty. We're still learning and growing as Christians. If you have any thoughts or stories or ideas you'd like to share about this topic, we'd love to hear from you!
1 comment:
I'm participating in Lent too, this year, although not in the totally orthodox way. I've "fasted" from something every year for about 6 years or more I guess, usually cokes, and usually with no thought to spirituality. But this year I'm trying to take it more seriously. Thanks for the link! I'll probably email you more about my experience with Lent.
Post a Comment